Minutes of committee meeting on 14th January 2021

Present:  Chris Akehurst, Keith Marley, Allen Smalls, Maxine Simon and Sally Dobson

Apologies:  Nicola Hilson, Richard Pickering

Minutes of last meeting: accepted

Matters arising from Minutes:

Kit:  CA had spoken to LW who confirmed the club has a 2 year contract with Samurai – which is due to expire this year.  KM confirmed no new monies received from sales but that our credit may have built up within our account with them.  CA to continue to investigate.

Covid Update:   everything is closed.  Await new instruction from Government before any new RA completed for Sodexo.

CA reported he had attended the on-line bi-monthly Essex Athletic Assoc committee meeting on 11 January.   The road relays scheduled for March have been cancelled.   Outdoor T & F Champs scheduled for 8/9 May with Schools Champs for 12 June.  Landowners are not giving permission for use for Cross Country events.

Eastern Regional Council will be hosting a Zoom forum on 25 January for representatives of all clubs to attend on-line:

Club Forum

Monday 25th January – 19:00 – 20:30
Join the East Regional Council for an interactive club forum, where the key focus will be the upcoming regional council elections along with how England Athletics can support your club and members right now and in the future.
• Find out more about becoming a regional councillor and how to apply. It’s a unique and rewarding role with the opportunity to help shape athletics and running, both now and in the future, and we’re looking for new councillors to join us.
You can read more about the Regional Elections here – https://www.englandathletics.org/…/regional-council-electi…/
The forum will also include sections on how to help your club and members right now and in the future.
• Support available from England Athletics including the Club Support Fund
• Latest guidance relating to Covid-19 and how to keep your club members and volunteers engaged – an interactive session
• The England Athletics Strategy – A key points summary
And we plan to conclude with a little light at end of the tunnel.
• How planning is coming together for the Commonwealth Games ?
We are thinking that 50% of the forum time will be used to communicate the information and the other 50% answering questions and discussing.
If a particular topic needs further discussion then we will endeavour to research and provide further forums as needed.
To register for the event, please click on the link below.
When: Jan 25, 2021 07:00 PM London
Register in advance for this meeting:
After registering, you will receive a confirmation email containing information about joining the meeting.
We look forward to seeing you there.
The East Regional Council

Acting Chair report:

Essex T & F Forum

The County are going to host a forum for the Essex clubs that are involved in T & F in the next few weeks.   

CA has written offering sincere thanks to LW and RA for their long service to the club.

CA will lead the AGM

Treasurer Report:

Healthy bank balances with some training fees still trickling in.

Paid out affiliation fees for Triathlon and EA.

KM will send his AGM report to CA prior to the mtg

Membership Report:   Not present at mtg

Sub-Committee Reports:

Endurance:  no representative present.   AS informed virtual races still happening including national road relays, numbers started at about 60 during the first lockdown and have only dropped slightly.

Track and Field:   Still trying to recruit new coaches for when training can start again. Nationally, social media chats have been discussing league formats and the distance athletes are asked to travel.  EA survey in 2018/19 showed that athletes drop out rate was partly due to this issue. 


Job descriptions – officer roles have been written, awaiting news from PP re what happens next with Website.  (addendum:  PP has posted job roles on website with a link onto FB)

CA had received one enquiry re Welfare post. 

CA to clarify Endurance sub-committee representative role.

Very few responses acknowledging attendance at AGM  on Friday 22 January.  CA to send another email with details of the mtg and vacancies.

Committee members encouraged to message squad members etc

Nominees for vacancies needed asap

The AGM will run via Zoom:  CA to ask LW for the club link

Mtg ended at 8.45pm